Preparation for Replastering Swimming Pools
There are procedures that must be done to all pools prior to preparation for replastering.
Obtain permits if require
- Take all necessary action to turn off all power to pool equipment, water features, lights and auto water fill
- Drain pool in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Care should be taken in areas with high water tables and appropriate actions taken to prevent flotation of the shell
- If the existing tile is to remain, undercut below waterline tile to ensure a flush finish for the new pool surface
There are different methods of preparing a pool for replastering. Your pool plastering professional will recommend the most appropriate surface preparation for your pool. The methods listed below are in alphabetical order and their placement is not an indication of their effectiveness. A combination of these methods may also be used. It is most important to get the roughest sound base possible to ensure bonding of the new plaster coat. Listed below are definitions of common available methods.
- Acid Wash & Glues
- Acid Wash & Picking
- Sandblasting or Hydro Blasting & Brown Coat
- Sandblasting or Hydro Blasting and Glue
*Sandblasting or Hydro Blasting & Pre-coat